A tender cream cheese dough filled with homemade almond paste and maraschino cherries makes an elegant cookie tart fit for a party.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
Featured In: 30 Recipes for Valentine's Day Cookies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (17-1/2 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 24 maraschino cherries, well-drained
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in egg. Add cookie mix; mix well (dough will be sticky). Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Place almonds and sugar in a food processor; pulse until almonds are finely chopped. Add eggs; process until mixture forms a paste. Add butter and vanilla; process until blended.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-1/4-in. balls; press onto bottom and up the sides of greased mini-muffin cups.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in each cup. Top each with a cherry. Bake 16-18 minutes or until edges are golden and filling is set. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Dust tops with confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Cherry Almond Delights in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p38