- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds or pecans, optional
- 1 jar (16 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut and nuts if desired.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Place a cherry half in the center of each. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews forCherry Almond Chews
"I love making these delicious cookies for the holidays. My family and friends have enjoyed them for years. I mix in some chopped pecans and they taste so yummy! Thanks, for the fabulous recipe."
"Made this recipe a few days ago & we LOVED them... I did NOT use shortening, I used just butter & they turned out great. A new favorite"
"Outstanding! The kids and I made these for fun today and they turned out great. The edges were slightly crispy and the center was chewy. The key to making these were to use parchment paper, don't cook too long and to let them cool for about 3 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing them. I changed nothing about the recipe."
"My cookies were quite flat, not like the picture. Taste was good. I would probably do half butter or margarine, instead of all shortening. Will try them again."