Cherry Almond Braid
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Additional slivered almonds and maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in extract. Fold in almonds and cherries; set aside.
- Unroll crescent rolls on an ungreased baking sheet; overlap long sides to make at 12-in. square. Press perforations to seal. Spread the cream cheese mixture down center third of square to within 1 in. of top and bottom; fold top and bottom edge over filling. Bring long sides over filling and overlap. Pinch seam to seal.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, butter and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over top of loaf. Garnish with almonds and cherries.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 274 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 30, 2012
I have been making this every year since it's original publication in Country Woman. It is a Christmas standard at our house. It is outstanding in flavor, impressive in presentation! I have had MANY requests for this recipe. This is SO good and easy to make. The photo is helpful in understanding assembly directions too. Don't wait for Christmas to try this!
Sep 3, 2010
Simple yet impressive and just as good, if not BETTER than, any expensive cream cheese danish or coffee cake offered at the store! Instead of milk for the glaze, I used maraschino cherry juice which gave it more flavor and also made it pink, which added to the presentation-all who tried it really liked it! Also, I made two and froze one-tastes just as good! I did not used almonds on the top-didn't have any. Nice balance of cheese, cherry and almond-not one favor overwhelming this pastry.