- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1 package (5 ounces) dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 7 ounces (about 4-1/2 cups) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded fontina cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Wipe mushroom caps clean with a damp paper towel; remove stems and gills and discard. Place caps on a foil-lined 15x10-in. baking pan.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat until it begins to brown and smell nutty. Add onion; saute until translucent, stirring occasionally. Stir in pecans, cherries and seasonings; cook and stir 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine onion mixture and stuffing cubes, tossing to coat evenly. Add 1-1/2 cups broth to onion-stuffing mixture, stirring until well mixed. Add remaining broth as needed. Stir in 1 cup cheese.
- Fill mushroom caps with stuffing until mounded, about 1 cup each. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until mushrooms are heated through and cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCherry & Fontina Stuffed Portobellos
"This was absolutely delicious. I could have stuffed a couple more mushrooms with the filling I had."