Cherries in the Snow
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min. + chilling
- 6 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup uncooked arborio rice
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, rice and sugar substitute. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and seeds to milk mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until rice is tender and pudding is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a small bowl; discard vanilla bean. Stir in the cherries, rum and salt. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Fold in whipped topping before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 248 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Jun 11, 2012
I will try again only because I liked the taste. The rice did not cook to a creamy texture. It was chewy.
Feb 23, 2011
As a cancer survivor, I would not use any sugar substitute except for natural ones. Looks real good with just a little regular sugar.
Feb 21, 2011
Personally I prefer to use small amounts of sugar, not sugar substitute, which is unhealthy and tastes bad.
Feb 20, 2011
I'm curious that you talk in the preamble of rum soaked cherries. Where are they? You added rum to the whole recipe. Very different
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.