Here's a fun way to serve zucchini..provide a low-fat alternative to high-calorie nachos. Our Test Kitchen sprinkled zucchini slices with cheese, seasonings and bacon bits, then heated them in the microwave. Even kids will eat their veggies when you serve them as a side dish or snack.
Recommended: Top 10 Quiche Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place zucchini on a microwave-safe plate; sprinkle with basil and onion powder. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute or until hot. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese, bacon and Parmesan cheese; microwave on high for 30-60 seconds or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Zucchini Rounds in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p46