Cheesy Zucchini Quiche Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir until tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- 3. Whisk eggs and seasonings until blended. Stir in cheese and zucchini mixture. Spread mustard over pastry shell; add filling.
- 4. Bake on a lower oven rack until a knife inserted in center comes out clean and crust is golden brown, 35-40 minutes. If needed, cover edge loosely with foil during last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
1 piece: 332 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 559mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Zucchini Quiche
"I've been making this for at least 30 years. Everyone loves it. I use spicy, brown mustard and add some greyere cheese because that's our preference but everything else is the same. Delicious!"
"I make a similar recipe and it's one of our favorites. But I use a tube of crescent rolls for the crust, don't have to prebake. We also prefer co-jack or Mexican cheese. The rest is the same except the one thing that really makes this recipe. A big bunch of fresh basil, along with a little fresh oregano and parsley absolutely makes this dish and wouldn't bother making it without the fresh basil."
"A super tasty side dish that everybody loved and wasn't too cheesy or eggy. The star was the zucchini! I added 1/4 cup of milk and no mustard, instead added some mustard powder to the egg mixture. Used a bought pie crust. Would make this again for sure :)"
"Great recipe when we had family over. Everyone loved it! Wouldn't change a thing"
"loved it very good"
"I had to change the recipe. I had all the ingredients except a pie crust, and I was too lazy to make my own. I added the mustard to the egg mixture, then the zucchini mixture. I sprayed the pie plate with nonstick cooking spray, covered it and baked it as directed. Yummy! Didn't miss the crust at all."
"Love this quiche. The mustard gives it a little zing. Have made it a few times and get rave reviews every time!"
"GREAT recipe. Will definitely be making this again. I loved the blend of spices in this."
"A very tasty quiche. Although I didn't use a pie crust, I spread the mustard on a pam sprayed 9" pie plate. I added a couple of sauteed mushrooms and as I didn't have mozzarella cheese on hand, used monterey jack, the rest of the recipe as is! It is easy to make and we loved it. A keeper for sure."
"Surprisingly so good! We were impressed. Followed the recipe to a t and it turned out excellent."
"I LOVE this recipe! I made 2 and froze one. I did reduce mozzarella cheese by half and added parmesan cheese. Also, 2 eggs didnt seem to be enough liquid, so i added abiut 1/4 cup of milk."
"Excellent recipe. My whole family loves it."
"Excellent! Made this tonight exactly as written but doubled everything for two quiches. Everyone loved it! This will be part of our rotation. Will try with different cheeses as well as low fat cheese. Thanks for the recipe!"
"easy to make and everyone loved it!"
"I love this recipe...made it twice and I will be making it for Thanksgiving for all the people who don't eat meat....I froze the zucchini in the summer and that helps to economize this dish.....thanks for sharing..."
"Believe it or not my zucchini plant died so me with no mass of zucchini ... so I used yellow squash. DELICIOUS!! I've made 3xs and always make 2 so I can freeze one."
"Made this for a brunch with my colleagues! It was a huge hit! I used 1.5 cups of swiss cheese and .5 cup of parmesan. SOOOO YUMMY!!!"
"Super duper, yummy, nutritious and reasonably easy! I added ham and green chiles and we loved it. Less eggy, more chock full of veggies than traditional quiche. A winner!"
"..loved the combination of spices. I did use half cheddar as that was what I had I had on hand.."
"This was gone in no-time. A winner around the breakfast table!"