Cheesy Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, melt butter; add flour. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, blend egg yolk and cream. Gradually blend in several tablespoonfuls of hot soup; return all to saucepan, stirring until slightly thickened. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese and heat until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 202 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 6, 2013
Aug 5, 2013
Have been making this recipe for years. However I don't put in the cheese. It's a family favorite.
Aug 20, 2012
This was good but not worth the effort or the calories and fats.
Jun 24, 2012
Jun 2, 2008
This sounds so good. Thank you.I agree. I would love to live in the country, but can't night drive.