- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, melt butter; add flour. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, blend egg yolk and cream. Gradually blend in several tablespoonfuls of hot soup; return all to saucepan, stirring until slightly thickened. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese and heat until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forCheesy Vegetable Soup
"Have been making this recipe for years. However I don't put in the cheese. It's a family favorite."
"This was good but not worth the effort or the calories and fats."
"This sounds so good. Thank you.I agree. I would love to live in the country, but can't night drive."