Cheesy Veal Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound veal or boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- HERB-CHEESE CRUST:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Place flour in a large resealable bag; add veal in batches and shake to coat. In a skillet, cook veal in butter until no longer pink. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the first four crust ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half. Roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate; place in plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; fluted edges. Add filling. Top with cheddar cheese.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. With a 2-in. biscuit cutter, cut out circles; place over cheese, overlapping slightly. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 424 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 856mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Veal Pie
"I couldn't find veal, but used chicken instead and it was wonderful!! Will fix again!!"
"This was really good. Had great flavor. I used the chicken instead of the veal, since it was what I had on hand."
"My boyfriend likes veal parmesan and so I wanted to find something along those lines to really wow him-this recipe did the trick! He always asks me to make this for him and hords the leftovers"
"I made this yesterday and it was absolutely delicious...the crust is supurb..the flavor is the definition of comfort food!"