Cheesy Turnips and Carrots Recipe
- 3 cups chopped peeled turnips
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine turnips, carrots, ginger, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain and reserve liquid. Set vegetables aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender; stir in the flour, pepper and remaining salt. Add milk and the vegetable liquid; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted; stir in vegetables and heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 cup: 211 calories, 13g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Turnips and Carrots
"Turnips are not my favorite, but they're great in this recipe!!"
"I've made this for years. It's really easy and tasty. My family loves it."
"mine turned out "soupy". did not like flavor - maybe because i'm not a turnip fan."
"My family loves this recipe. It has become an often-requested favorite and a staple of family gatherings."