Cheesy Turnips and Carrots
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups chopped peeled turnips
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine turnips, carrots, ginger, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain and reserve liquid. Set vegetables aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender; stir in the flour, pepper and remaining salt. Add milk and the vegetable liquid; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted; stir in vegetables and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 211 calories, 13g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Jun 25, 2017
Turnips are not my favorite, but they're great in this recipe!!
Dec 31, 2012
I've made this for years. It's really easy and tasty. My family loves it.
Dec 31, 2012
mine turned out "soupy". did not like flavor - maybe because i'm not a turnip fan.
Jan 26, 2011
My family loves this recipe. It has become an often-requested favorite and a staple of family gatherings.