- 1 envelope chicken fajita seasoning mix
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup canned diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole and tortilla chips
- Prepare fajita mix according to package directions; add chicken and marinate as directed. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil until no longer pink; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the tomatoes, process cheese and 1 cup Monterey Jack; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in cream and reserved chicken; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheddar and remaining Monterey Jack cheese; top with guacamole and chips. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forCheesy Tortilla Soup
"Delicious soup! I made a few changes--my envelope of fajita seasoning mix didn't call for marinating so I just diced up two large chicken breasts and sprinkled with the seasoning mix when they were nearly done. I also added diced green pepper to the skillet along with the onions and used homemade turkey stock I had frozen from Thanksgiving instead of the chicken broth. After I stirred in the cheese and let it simmer, we didn't think it needed the cream as it was nice and thick and creamy with just the melted cheeses (I probably added more cheese than it called for--LOL!. I also used a can of plain diced tomatoes and then added a can of diced green chilies since I didn't have any Rotel on hand."
"Oh my goodness this is so good. We cut a cup of the broth out and don't add cheese to garnish because we learned we like it thicker and already love the amount of cheese in it. Hard to have self-control with this one- especially when served with tortilla chips."
"Good recipe, but a lot of fat for sure with all that cheese!"
""A keeper!" said all my family members when we enjoyed this soup tonight! My teens added Nacho Cheese Doritos instead of tortilla chips to the soup & thought those chips made it even better. I made my own taco seasoning mix from a recipe on the Allrecipes website, & the flavor was terrific--our local stores don't carry chicken fajita seasoning mix. Also added the whole can of tomatoes & chilies because I had to 1 1/2x the recipe in order to have enough for everyone. Will definitely made this one often!"
"This is a very good tortilla soup recipe. It is very rich though with all the cheeses in it. My husband said he wanted it again and again though. Thank you for the new recipe taste of home!"
"Made this soup for dinner over the weekend and my family loved it! The only thing I did differently was to add a large can of black beans as well as add the entire can of diced tomatoes (drained) to the soup. I served this with a fresh green salad, fresh guacamole and tortilla chips. Delicious! Thanks for sharing a great soup."
"My family loved this & it was quick to make."