Cheesy Tortilla Bake
The from-scratch tortillas in this dish couldn't be simpler or easier to make. These enchiladas freeze well, too.—Diane Hansen, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake> 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine flour, cornmeal and salt in a bowl. Add milk, egg and butter. Beat until smooth. Place a lightly greased small skillet over medium heat. For each tortilla, pour about 3 tablespoons batter into skillet. Lift and tilt skillet to spread batter. Return to heat. Cook until light brown; turn and brown the other side. Remove to a warm platter; repeat with remaining batter. Set aside.
- For filling, cook ground beef, onion and garlic until the meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in soups, taco sauce, oregano and olives.
- Meanwhile, cover the bottom of a 13x9-in. baking dish with six tortillas, overlapping as needed. Cover with half of meat mixture. Top with remaining tortillas and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 389 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 804mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Tortilla Bake in Country Ground Beef