Cheesy Tortilla Bake
The from-scratch tortillas in this dish couldn't be simpler or easier to make. These enchiladas freeze well, too.—Diane Hansen, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake> 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine flour, cornmeal and salt in a bowl. Add milk, egg and butter. Beat until smooth. Place a lightly greased small skillet over medium heat. For each tortilla, pour about 3 tablespoons batter into skillet. Lift and tilt skillet to spread batter. Return to heat. Cook until light brown; turn and brown the other side. Remove to a warm platter; repeat with remaining batter. Set aside.
- For filling, cook ground beef, onion and garlic until the meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in soups, taco sauce, oregano and olives.
- Meanwhile, cover the bottom of a 13x9-in. baking dish with six tortillas, overlapping as needed. Cover with half of meat mixture. Top with remaining tortillas and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 389 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 804mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Tortilla Bake in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.