Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 4 1/2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika or garlic salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a food processor, combine flour, butter and cheese. Cover and process until well blended. Divide into four portions; shape each into a ball. Roll between pieces of waxed paper or plastic wrap into 7x5-in. rectangles.
- Cut into 5x1/2-in. strips. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and, if desired, paprika or garlic salt.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Freeze option: Freeze cooled cheese straws in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, reheat on an ungreased baking sheet in a preheated 350° oven until crisp and heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 123 calories, 8g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 18, 2010
I made them much thinner and didn't add any salt or pepper or garlic on top. Next I think I will use sharp cheddar, mild doesn't have that zing. Reminds me of Cheez-Its!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.