Cheesy Sausage-Stuffed Shells
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 12 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2/3 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set half of the sausage aside for filling.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, brown sugar and Italian seasoning to remaining sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drain pasta. In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, egg, parsley and reserved sausage. Stuff into shells.
- Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce into an ungreased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Arrange stuffed shells in dish; drizzle with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 459 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 1265mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein.
Feb 9, 2017
This is a wonderfully tasty meal. I served it with a simple side salad with Italian dressing. First bite made this a 'keeper', all subsequent bites affirmed the first.
Mar 10, 2015
We loved how the flavor of the sausage was in both the cheese and the sauce. Of course, I did use a whole pound of bulk sweet Italian sausage, which I chopped up quite fine after cooking. I also used 15 oz tomato sauce and a whole 6 oz can of paste. Delicious!
Jan 25, 2014
I have made this several times love it