Cheesy Sausage-Stuffed Shells
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 12 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 2/3 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set half of the sausage aside for filling.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, brown sugar and Italian seasoning to remaining sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drain pasta. In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, egg, parsley and reserved sausage. Stuff into shells.
- Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce into an ungreased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Arrange stuffed shells in dish; drizzle with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan if desired.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 459 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 1265mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2017
This is a wonderfully tasty meal. I served it with a simple side salad with Italian dressing. First bite made this a 'keeper', all subsequent bites affirmed the first.
Mar 10, 2015
We loved how the flavor of the sausage was in both the cheese and the sauce. Of course, I did use a whole pound of bulk sweet Italian sausage, which I chopped up quite fine after cooking. I also used 15 oz tomato sauce and a whole 6 oz can of paste. Delicious!
Jan 25, 2014
I have made this several times love it