- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream and onions.
- In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, layer half of the pasta and sausage mixture. Dollop with half the cream cheese mixture; sprinkle with half the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Sausage Penne
"This was very good. I used a few less noodles than the recipe called for because I was worried it would be dry. I also used a 9 x 13 pan. Thank You."
"This was very good!! I used a few less noodles than the recipe called for because I was worried it would be dry. I also used a 9 x 13 pan. Thank You!"
"This was very yummy. I cut this in half for just my husband and I and put it in a 1.5-qt baking dish. Everything was to the very top and threatening to spill over, so next time I'll probably put it in a 2-qt. I already had leftover bulk Italian sausage cooked (it was a beef/pork/bacon sausage mix), so I initially heated that, then proceeded to adding the spaghetti sauce (I used a tomato & basil). I used ziti instead of penne which seemed to work fine. I believe I only baked it for about 25 minutes or so (which was plenty). Overall, very very tasty. My only complaint is that I found it to be a tad dry. The noodles really soaked up the sauce so there didn't really seem to be much there. Maybe next time I'll add in more. Otherwise, this needed no other tweaks."
"This recipe is similar to one I've made for years, except mine calls for ground beef and linguine......so this was a nice change of pace! Aside from the ingredients called for, I used more garlic (4 cloves) and added one onion, chopped, which I sauteed along with the sausage. And I added one 15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes along with the spaghetti sauce and seasoned the mixture with basil, oregano, parmesan, a little kosher salt and sugar. Baked mine a little longer - about 40 minutes, and I waited until the last 5 minutes to add the final layer of cheddar cheese. Very tasty and something I'll make again!"
"My son is allergic to wheat and we used Gluten free penne pasta for this dish. The whole family loved this meal and requested it be served often!"
"Been some time since I've made this delicious dish. Making for dinner tonite!!"
"This is really good, but very indulgent. Everyone liked it, but we all felt like it was a major cheat meal."
"I use less cream cheese..."
"Love this one! Even my VERY picky kids will eat it. It's a family fave!"
"My mom was the only one in my family that liked this recipe!! Niether my dad or I liked it. The sour cream sauce is too intense and was really really sour. I would make a huge substitution if I was to make this again!! We ate all of it because I didn't want to cook anything else. This is one of only a handful that I have gotten from ToH that we did not like!"