Cheesy Potato Chowder
This chowder was invented by my niece, who took a basic potato soup recipe and added some of her own ingredients. The results were "souperb"! I was a cook at the time, and I tried her recipe at work. It was the hit of the season!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes10-12 servings (3 quarts)
- 8 to 12 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 3 cups milk
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes and carrots in chicken broth until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the cheese, dill weed, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add bacon, reserving 1/2 cup, and milk. Heat through. Top individual bowls with reserved bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 347 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1283mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Potato Chowder in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 3, 2014
This is the best soup we have ever had! I do add more bacon.
Sep 17, 2013
this soup is pretty quick and easy taste great we make it all the time when it gets cold out