- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained, optional
- 2 packages (5-1/4 ounces each) au gratin potatoes
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Top with mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, combine the potatoes and contents of sauce mix packets, water, milk, butter, salt, seasoned salt and pepper. Pour over beef and mushrooms. Cover and bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Potato Beef Bake
"What a waste of good hamburger this pos turned out to be....shoulda just grilled burgers and made the boxed taters properly"
"Excellent. My wife went overboard on this. Doubled the recipe. Used 90% ground beef. Fried a large onion with the beef. Added a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, frozen baby carrots, can of cream of mushroom soup, mixed in 8 oz. of shredded cheddar, 2 Tb. worcestershire sauce, another bag of grated cheese on top.Baked 'till browned."
"I made this last night, and it will definitely be in our regular meal plans. The only change I made was instead of using shredded cheese, I topped it with Cheddar flavored French fried onions, since that's what I had on hand. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it is a keeper!"
"Good recipe! I made it a little lower in calories, lower in fat, and quicker to make simply by using cubed turkey ham, which requires no pre-cooking, instead of ground beef. With this, it has 210 calories, 11 grams fat, 18 grams carbs, and 10 grams protein. (For even fewer calories, use 2% milk and fat-free cheese!) But it's good either way!"
"I just saw this recipe sounds fantastic! It will be tomorrow nights dinner."
"This casserole is amazing to me! I have 4 children who never like the same thing, although ALL of them loved this!This young lady is going to be a fantastic cook!"