Cheesy Onion Focaccia
this recipe makes a golden brown loaf with a pleasing onion flavor enhanced by garlic and Italian seasoning. With melted cheddar and Parmesan cheese on top, this bread tastes best when served warm.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the first six ingredients in a bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly greased 12-in. pizza pan; pat into a 10-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onions in butter in a large skillet until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Add garlic and Italian seasoning; cook 1 minute longer.
- Make deep indentations 1 in. apart in dough, using the end of a wooden spoon handle. Top with onions and cheeses. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 174 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Savory Onion Focaccia in Taste of Home April/May 2005