Cheesy Onion Biscuits
Fresh from our Test Kitchen, these scone-shaped biscuits have a savory onion-and-cheddar flavor and a golden shell. Serve them with a pat of butter alongside your favorite soup.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/4 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Place onion in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until tender. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese and onion. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out into a 4-in. circle; cut into four wedges. Place 2 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 150 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.