Cheesy O’Brien Egg Scramble
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (28 ounces) frozen O'Brien potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, prepare hash browns according to package directions. sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with soup. Set aside 1/2 cup of bacon; sprinkle remaining bacon over soup.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. In another large skillet, heat butter until hot. Add eggs; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are nearly set. Spoon over bacon. Sprinkle with cheese and reserved bacon.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 451 calories, 33g fat (14g saturated fat), 275mg cholesterol, 1101mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Aug 11, 2014
I really like this. I use half as much cheddar and it still tastes great. Next time I will try to save time by using pre-cooked hash brown patties to use as the crust. I also use a carton of egg beaters in place of about 7 of the eggs (again to save time). Still tastes great.
Jan 7, 2012
My girls request this as their special birthday food! I also make it every Christmas morning. This time I made it with the hash brown patties that you can put in the toaster, as the bottom layer. I toasted them up a bit and made a single layer in the bottom of the casserole dish, breaking up to fill in spaces. Turned out great and save cleaning up a frying pan!
Jun 7, 2010
I actually made this for a dinner.I used half a pound pork sausage instead of the bacon. It was awesome! All my kids loved it! My 4 year old, who I usually have to force feed asked for seconds. This is definitely a new fave.
Mar 30, 2010
I have also used smoked bacon with this and it's just great!!!!!
Oct 19, 2009
i make this at least once a month, more if my family has their way. they are meat eaters so i add half pound bacon and half pound sausage to it i put it together the night before and all i have to do in the am is preheat the oven and cook!!!!! its greati have even used left over baked chicken or roast beef chopped up and some peas and carrots. it is an easy dinner.
Sep 26, 2009
This was printed in Taste of Home eons ago when my mother subsribed to it. I have made it many times and even my picky son loves it. I have also substituted a pound of sausage for the bacon.
Apr 11, 2009
Yes shell, I have done it both ways. It is wonderful! Four men for a breakfast and it came home gone! Everyone asks for this recipe!
Mar 30, 2009
Has anyone tried this dish by preparing it the night before and then cooking in the am?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.