There's plenty of happy munching all around the table when I dish up these luscious morsels. Ideal for a large crowd, they taste like quiche without the crust or the fuss.
Recommended: 50 Great Ways to Make Lasagna
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 10 eggs
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (16 ounces) small-curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add the green pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; drain. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in the cheeses, flour, baking powder, salt, basil and nutmeg. Add mushroom mixture. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until edges are golden and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: about 12 dozen.
Originally published as Cheesy Mushroom Morsels in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p23