I double this mashed potato recipe for an extra batch to freeze. It’s a nice alternative to the standard potatoes or rice. —Jill Hancock, Nashua, New Hampshire
Recommended: 25 New Ways to Make Mashed Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 pounds cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes, milk, butter, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in 1-1/3 cups cheese. Grease two 6-portion muffin pans; divide potato mixture between pans. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with parsley.
- Cover and freeze one pan for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining pan, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- To use frozen potato cups: Thaw in the refrigerator. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 pans (6 servings each).
Originally published as Cheesy Mashed Potato Cups in Taste of Home Special Interest Publications 2013