Cheesy Leek Strata
The leeks and sourdough bread cubes make this a delectable variation of strata. —Janet Briggs
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 small leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes, half of the leeks and half of the red pepper, 3/4 cup Swiss cheese and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers once.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, beer, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Cover with plastic wrap. Weigh strata down with a slightly smaller baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove strata from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 296 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Leek Strata in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.