Cheesy Leek Strata
The leeks and sourdough bread cubes make this a delectable variation of strata. —Janet Briggs
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 small leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes, half of the leeks and half of the red pepper, 3/4 cup Swiss cheese and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers once.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, beer, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Cover with plastic wrap. Weigh strata down with a slightly smaller baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove strata from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 296 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 175mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Leek Strata in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook