- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato paste, water, brown sugar, oregano, vinegar and garlic powder.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, spread 1 cup of meat sauce. Layer with three noodles, 1 cup meat sauce and mozzarella cheese; three noodles, 1 cup meat sauce and Monterey Jack cheese; three noodles, 1 cup meat sauce, provolone cheese and the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Lasagna
"This is the only lasagna recipe I use. I modify it using store bought Marinara sauce instead of the vinegar, brown sugar, water, and paste most times, but I love it every time! I have had a few requests for the recipe. Some people enjoy it when I add extra sauce. We all enjoy the fact that we do not use ricotta cheese, and it is still so great!!"
"I really enjoyed this recipe. I did find that I was needing more sauce, so I added in two additional cans of tomato paste. This turned out perfect. The next time I make this, I will substitute out one of the cheeses for rocotti cheese."
"Next time I'd skip the parmesan because I don't think it added much."
"I made this recipe for my in-laws on Thanksgiving and everyone loved it! It makes a lot, sometimes I make 2 8x8 pans and freeze one for later."
"Great variation to a typical lasagna. I'm not a huge fan of ricotta cheese, so the four cheeses used here are a great alternative. It also makes a lot, so the recipe could be divided into 2-8x8 pans and one of the pans frozen for later use. My family loved this!"