- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, poultry seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in gravy mix. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Arrange the onion, carrot and potatoes over beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Hamburger Supper
"This is a quick, comfort food meal. I add minced onion when cooking the beef. I also find it easier to combine the water and gravy mix before adding to the ground beef. I used sweet potatoes because that is what I had. As long as the potatoes and carrots are sliced thin, they will cook per the recipe timing (about 20 minutes). I love cheese but this doesn’t really need it — personal preference. If I want cheese, I just add it to the individual serving and not to the whole dish. Next time I’m going to add a few more seasonings to punch up the flavor. Overall, a recipe I make when I just want an easy, filling meal."
"amazing meal have fixed it twice in the last 2 weeks"
"This was good but somewhat lacking in flavor; we had to use quite a bit of salt and pepper at the table. Also, for some strange reason, even though I drained the browned beef completely; the finished dish was somewhat greasy."
"I had low expectations for this, but it turned out deliciously amazing! Added splash of Worcestershire sauce for a bit more tang. It took a long time for my potatoes to get tender (but I sliced them thick) but I prefer them that way. Only added a handful of cheddar at the end...the idea of cheese and carrots strikes me as a bit odd. Definitely will make - and enjoy - again soon."
"Very quick and simple and enough to feed my family and keep them full."
"Loved it! Really easy to make."
"I have been making this ever since it was first in the magazine, we all love it. I make just as written and I have doubled it. Slice the potatoes and carrots on the thin side, they will get done in time"
"Due to food allergies, I had to modify this recipe some - I used beef broth and a little flour to thicken it up instead of the water and envelope of brown gravy mix, and omitted the carrots. Everyone really liked it, will make again. However, maybe due to our high altitude, I had to cook it on the stovetop for 40 minutes to get the potatoes done and the meat/gravy mixture burned on the bottom. Next time, I think that I will bake it in the oven instead."