- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Ham Chowder
"This was amazing! I love my soups a little on the thick side and this one fit the bill. The flavors were perfect. Did not change a thing. Thanks for the recipe."
"Absolutely delicious! Wouldn't change a thing!"
"Very good! easy to make especially with leftover Easter ham. Not low calorie by any means. :-)"
"WONDERFUL CHOWDER! Although, don't use packaged shredded cheese ~ it curdles. Still tastes fab but doesn't present as well. A DEFINITE KEEPER!"
"I really liked. Jim and Austin so-so. Ashley- big NO"
"simply delicious. It only needs a couple TB of bacon grease. Also, you should add a dash or 2 of sage(or thyme) and a dash of garlic powder. These additions make it perfect!"
"Made this for dinner tonight and it's very good. I didn't have bacon so I added some extra ham. I will definitely make this again."
"FANTASTIC! I included several minced garlic cloves along with the carrots & onion and sauteed in chicken broth as I used pre-cooked bacon. Also, used half evaporated milk and half 1% milk. Lastly, I used ham soup base/seasoning as alternative to the chicken bouillon.Some may find it somewhat thick/hearty.... very easy to thin with chicken broth."
"OMG! What a delicious soup. My husband wanted a soup the other day and a knew I printed this and I've been trying to make for a while. It turned out to be so hearty, thick, sweet tasty soup. The YUMS and MMHH were as loud as the clinking spoons on every bowl. I used beef bouillon instead of chicken(out of stock) lol. The potatoes, carrots and corn are perfect match. The bacon turns out to be almost difficult to notice, but you can still taste it. PERFECTA!"