Cheesy Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 418 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 18, 2019
Oh, this is so very good! Keeper! It has 2 kinds of pork, potatoes, lots of veggies..creamy, cheesy, sweet corny goodness in a bowl. Rich
Jan 15, 2019
My family asks for this recipe often. It is easy and delicious. Nothing is better on a cold winter day. I serve with a green salad and good homemade bread.
Jan 14, 2019
Made this last night so we can come home to it for dinner today. It's very yummy and tasty, however, it came out pretty thick. A little thicker than we wanted. What do you gals suggest I add to it to cut the thickness? Water or milk?
Jan 4, 2019
Loved this chowder. My husband said to be sure and keep this recipe. It did take longer for the potatoes to cook, so prep time was quite a bit longer. I did remove some of the bacon grease, and it still thickened fine. Will definitely make again.
Nov 6, 2018
this was really good, though I did make some minor changes. I used frozen, thawed country style hash browns (so easy, since they're already diced), I added a bit more flour to make it thicker, I used chicken broth in place of water, I added thyme, rosemary
Oct 29, 2018
I made this for the first time last night. Took a little longer than I thought but my family LOVED it. Even my picky 5 yr old. Will definitely make it again
Oct 28, 2018
Used chicken stock for the water and added thyme and garlic powder to taste. Wow, what a great chowder.
Oct 21, 2018
This recipe was awesome. My family
Oct 11, 2018
Our son loved this soup
Jun 2, 2018
Kids love this! I make it at least twice a month, regardless of what time of year it is. The only thing I do different is add more flour (oh, and minus the carrots, because.. gross) because the kids like it a bit thicker. So delicious! It's one of my go to recipes. Made it so many times I don't even need the recipe anymore. You won't be disappointed!