Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- 1. In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set potatoes and liquid aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute ham and onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the flour and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, broccoli and reserved potatoes; cook and stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup: 334 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup
"I also add cooked crumbled bacon , if no broccoli try corn or carrots . Then it's somewhat like a Coen chowder. We usually make this on Christmas eve. Delicious 5 stars"
"This is a keeper! I had no broccoli so I added chopped celery & carrots to my onion mixture for a bit of nutrition and color. Great on a cold night."
"My sister-in-law whipped this together during a recent visit to her house on a bitter cold day. I was impressed how she was able to make a soup from scratch in such a short period of time. The soup was hearty, delicious, and cozy. She had copied the recipe down from the magazine so I quickly looked it up on the Taste of Home website when I returned home because I know I'll be making it for my family."
"I just tried this recipe tonight and it was a big hit at my house! I love it because it has the 3 qualities I love the most about a meal...cheap, easy to make, and it tastes good! My son made me promise to save the left overs so that he could eat them tomorrow and also made me promise that I would make this again! The only way I altered the recipe was I didn't use broccoli since I have some picky eaters, and I added a little bit more cheese."
"I'll be making this as one of my 3 soups for our Christmas get-together but I'll add sour cream and garnish with crisp potato shreds. Will use the corn rather than broccoli also since more child friendly and perhaps use a bit of parsley for color. I also use homemade chicken broth rather than water for added depth. I'm rating this 4 stars as it takes the additions to make it a 5!"
"I altered it slightly. Instead of broccoli I used corn, instead of the 1 c of reserved cooking liquid I used cream of chicken soup, and instead of shredded cheddar cheese I used Velveeta cheese cubed. I also added a little chili powder for a little spice. Served it with biscuits and the whole family loved it:)"
"Really simple recipe that is delicious!"