- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed (about 20 ounces)
- 4 cups cubed deli ham
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place the first eight ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Cook, covered, on high 20-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese, sour cream and parsley until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forCheesy Ham & Corn Chowder
"This was an ok recipe. I didn't find there to much flavor in this."
"I made this for dinner exactly as written. I was skeptical of how long the cooking time was, as my vegetables were likely done at about 6 hours, but that extra cooking time only deepened the flavors. This is delicious comfort food. I also served it with some fresh bread. This is a perfect fall or winter soup!"
"This was very good. I don't think I would let it go for 10 hours. My veggies were done after 8 hours- in fact, they looked like they could have burned if left a bit longer because they were starting to brown. But the recipe was good and my husband and parents all liked it too! Great with a salad and fresh bread for a fall dinner."