Cheesy Ground Beef Soup with Veggies
My husband doesn't care for much for tomatoes, so I created this recipe that features lots of delicious cheese. We really enjoy steaming bowlfuls on cold winter days with fresh-from-the-oven corn bread. - Robin Counce, Arvada, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup each frozen corn, peas and cut green beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 2 pounds process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. Add vegetables and water to the kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add V8 juice and the beef mixture; heat through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
The fastest way to peel potatoes is with a vegetable peeler. Be sure to cut off any eyes or green parts. Prevent diced potatoes from darkening before cooking by keeping hem covered with water.