Cheesy Ground Beef Soup with Veggies
My husband doesn't care for much for tomatoes, so I created this recipe that features lots of delicious cheese. We really enjoy steaming bowlfuls on cold winter days with fresh-from-the-oven corn bread. - Robin Counce, Arvada, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup each frozen corn, peas and cut green beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 2 pounds process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. Add vegetables and water to the kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add V8 juice and the beef mixture; heat through. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
The fastest way to peel potatoes is with a vegetable peeler. Be sure to cut off any eyes or green parts. Prevent diced potatoes from darkening before cooking by keeping hem covered with water.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 334 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 927mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Vegetable Soup in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book