"With its pretty color and cheesy topping, this buttery bread is delicious with soups," reports Sue Burton of Frankfort, Kansas. "Our daughter loves to help press out the thawed bread dough and sprinkle it with cheese."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 to 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pat dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 14-in. pizza pan or 15x10x1-in. baking pan, forming a crust. Spread with butter. Sprinkle with onion, paprika, oregano and garlic powder. Prick the crust several times with a fork; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Originally published as Cheesy Flat Bread in Quick Cooking January/February 1999