- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, cubed, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and onions in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine eggs and cheeses. Melt remaining butter; add to egg mixture. Stir into dry ingredients along with mushroom mixture.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Carefully run the knife around edge of muffin cups before removing. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forCheesy Egg Puffs
"These were very good! I added crumbled sausage and black olives, in addition to the mushrooms and green onions. They were a bit greasy... I might cut back a little on the sausage, cheese and butter next time."
"What a great recipe! My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed these puffs with our brunch and I will definitely be making them again!"
"i have made this several times and it is a keep and must make again recipe. they are great for breakfast and snacks too. i did vary the type of cheese and any flavor works well."
"As I was making this, I thought, "Why am I making this? It's probably not very good." So glad I was wrong! I got 24 muffins, not 15. A bonus!"
"These were good. I added cooked pork sausage, bell peppers and spinach to mine along with the recommended ingredients listed. I didn't have any green onions so I substituted one yellow onion. I also didn't have any Colby cheese so I used shredded taco blend cheeses to mine. I love the fact that you can pretty much used anything in this recipe that your family likes or what you have on hand and it still turns our wonderful. These would also be good with diced tomatoes or salsa added on top just before serving and maybe even a teaspoon of sour cream. This is certainly a keeper and will go in my favorite recipes file."
"I really liked these hot out of the oven, but not so much reheated. I love recipes I can make ahead, so I'll try this again and see how they are."
"Delicious Recipe!! I made these in mini muffin size, and in a brownie pan, with DOUBLE the mushrooms and some garlic, and everyone RAVED.:0) My husband asked if he could take some extra in to work to share with some coworkers, and he never does that! This is a keeper, and like others said - this recipe is flexible. (But it's GREAT as is!)"
"I make these ALL of the time, and they are frequently asked for by my friends! I usually substitute the mushroom/green onion mix for other ingredients (like bacon/sausage, or multi colored peppers. you can even make up your own like ham&swiss, or chorizo with some salsa.)I have also cut down the butter to 1/4c. (in the egg mix) and have used 2% small curd cottage cheese and they are still great! They are very versatile! Also, easy to freeze, and just remove a few and microwave for about 1 minute for a quick breakfast!"