- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) gold and white corn, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until onion is tender. Add the water, potatoes, carrots and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in corn and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses; cook and stir until melted. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forCheesy Corn Chowder
"Love this chowder!! Definitely my new favorite!!!"
"I agree this is a very rich and delicious soup. Not too good for my cholesterol, however. I added celery, granulated garlic, some creamed corn."
"Loved this! Will for sure make it again."
"Excellent chowder, and it made a huge pot. I served this with BLT sandwiches."
"Wonderful. !! I have made this several times !!!!!!"
"Delicious! I didn't have the exact listed ingredients, but I think my substitutes addressed some of the reviews that suggested it needed a bit more "zip." I used some homemade seasoned chicken broth I had frozen instead of the water and bouillon and I used shredded pepper jack cheese along with some shredded cheddar and instead of regular Velveeta, I used the new Queso kind. My husband loved it and I did, too, perfect meal along with a veggie tray and hot rolls for a cold winter night! And, as promised it made a nice big pot and we are both looking forward to leftovers!"
"This soup was delicious! I would definitely make it again. Even my picky husband said he liked it! Can't wait to eat the left-overs!"
"This is good but I feel it needs some zip to it. I made it as is, but if I were to make it again, I would add celery and perhaps some shredded chicken and chopped jalepenos. Good but needs a bit more."