I got this meatless main dish recipe in South Dakota. It also makes a good side dish. I live on a cattle ranch and cook three meals a day, so I'm always interested in finding different recipes.—Mary Morrow, Jordan Valley, Oregon
Recommended: 25 Surprising Ways to Use Jiffy Mix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Cut chilies open lengthwise. Rinse; removing seeds. Place chilies on paper towels to drain. Combine cheeses; set aside 1/2 cup for topping. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cream and eggs until smooth.
- In a greased deep 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the cheese, chilies and egg mixture. Repeat layers. Pour tomato sauce over the top; sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Chili Rellenos in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p303