Cheesy Chicken Wontons
When hosting an informal get-together with close friends, enlist guests to help assemble these savory snacks from out Test Kitchen. As a reward, they get to eat the fruits of their labor!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Pizza or spaghetti sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, chicken, onions, tomato, herb seasoning and cayenne. Place about 2 tablespoons in the center of each wonton wrapper. Brush edges with egg; fold corner over, making a triangle. Seal seams.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry wontons, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with pizza or spaghetti sauce.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 129 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Cheesy Chicken Wontons in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004