Cheesy Chicken Taco Dip
We're huge college football fans (go Irish!), and my chicken taco dip hasn't missed a season opener in 14 years and counting. A slow cooker lets us keep the dip warm for the whole game—if it lasts that long! —Deanna Garretson, Yucaipa, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours 10 min.
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (30 ounces) refried beans
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- In a greased 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, mix salsa and beans. Top with chicken; sprinkle with taco seasoning. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken; shred finely using two forks. Return to slow cooker; stir in cheese. Cook, covered, on low until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, top with green onions, tomato and cilantro. Serve with chips.
Health Tip: Skip the chips and serve with crunch celery sticks for a lighter bite.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup dip: 82 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Chicken Mexican Dip in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.