- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; add flour and mix well. Gradually stir in milk; cook over low heat until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese and cook until melted; add to broth along with chicken. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Chicken Chowder
"I have been making this recipe for years, my whole family loves it, now my daughters make it for their families. It is easy and delicious! Definitely a keeper!"
"We always double this recipe because it is plain old-fashioned goodness. One recipe is not enough!"
"This lacks a little bit in flavor, so I made sure to season my chicken with garlic, onion, salt and pepper before adding it to the chowder. Everyone loved this so I will be making it again."
"this recipe is great, registered as a member of this site just so i could say that i also occasionally use steak chunks instead and it's amazing. i just brown the steak chunks a bit before adding to the stew and use beef broth instead of chicken broth! it's a cold night favorite and tastes great in a bread bowl :)"
"The whole family loved it!!"
"I think garlic would be a nice addition to the chowder."
"This is a fantastic recipe. Instead of using chicken broth from a can, I used the water from boiling/cooking the boneless-skinless breasts and thighs. It is very tasty and invites you to add a variety of vegetables such as peas or mushrooms, etc. Be creative."
"I have made this many times and it is always a hit."