Cheesy Cheddar Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add water, vegetables and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in the flour, paprika and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add to soup; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 296 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2011
I added some frozen mixed vegetables and I wish I hadn't. Overall this recipe is okay, but I thought it wasn't worth the effort to me.
Jul 17, 2008
no lima beans or cabbage, but add baccos at the end