Cheesy Cheddar Vegetable Soup
Shredded cheddar cheese adds flavor to this smooth-as-silk soup that's loaded with good-for-you cabbage, carrots, lima beans and potatoes. "This filling dish is always a crowd pleaser on cold winter days," Dana Worley of Lebanon, Tennessee reports.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add water, vegetables and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in the flour, paprika and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add to soup; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 296 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Mar 11, 2011
I added some frozen mixed vegetables and I wish I hadn't. Overall this recipe is okay, but I thought it wasn't worth the effort to me.
Jul 17, 2008
no lima beans or cabbage, but add baccos at the end