Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Dash paprika
- 1. In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Place broccoli in a steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the cornstarch, milk and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Stir in the butter, sherry if desired, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Reduce heat. Add cheese and broccoli; heat just until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 3 servings.
1 cup: 203 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Reviews for Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
"I love creamed soups and broccoli cheddar ia one of my favorites but I'm trying to cut back on fat and calories. This recipe does the trick. I was a little hesitant adding the sherry but it definately adds a different dimension to the soup than the standard recipe I had been using."