Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Dash paprika
- In a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Place broccoli in a steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, combine the cornstarch, milk and broth until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the butter, sherry if desired, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Reduce heat. Add cheese and broccoli; heat just until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 203 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Jul 5, 2012
I love creamed soups and broccoli cheddar ia one of my favorites but I'm trying to cut back on fat and calories. This recipe does the trick. I was a little hesitant adding the sherry but it definately adds a different dimension to the soup than the standard recipe I had been using.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.