Cheesy Cauliflower with Peas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), broken into florets
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a covered saucepan, cook cauliflower in a small amount of water until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Drain the cauliflower. Add peas, mushrooms, 1 cup of cheese and cauliflower to the milk mixture; stir gently. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 174 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 388mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 22, 2018
What a tasteful find. It's super cheesy, creamy and yummy. The peas add pop to the taste as well as adding a nice visual as well. I did not have any mushrooms.I would suggest baking it uncovered for the whole baking time. I used just 1 cup of milk and. 1/2 cup of broth that I cooked the Cauliflower in.Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor.
Nov 29, 2011
I made this for Thanksgiving dinner, and it was very well received. Thanks for a great recipe.