Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3-3/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, broth and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Mash cauliflower.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the cream, milk, carrot, bay leaves and garlic powder. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Stir in potato flakes.
- Cook 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the slow cooker; stir in cheese. Cook until soup is heated through and cheese is melted. Garnish with paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 274 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 17, 2016
I eliminated the bouillon ( don't like the flavor) and the potato flakes but added a little corn starch to thicken. Did not blend, I like the chunks of cauliflower, Yummy!!
Oct 16, 2016
I used Swiss cheese and this was exactly like our chef (yes, I said chef!) at Sun Microsystems would make for our cafeteria! I too used whole milk and left out the potato flakes and carrot. Totally yummy!!
Jan 19, 2014
This was quite good. I followed schweitzerca's suggestion and just used all whole milk but did add the potato flakes. The cheese did not melt completely smoothly. There were many cheesy "strings" but maybe that's how it should be. I'm not sure and, yes, I did use regular full-fat shredded cheddar . I will probably go back to Winning Cream of Cauliflower Soup.
Oct 27, 2012
I have 5 kids and not all of them like to eat their vegetables. My son who only eats corn and green beans loves this soup and I make it several times a year.
Jan 22, 2011
Good soup. Why use half-and-half and 2% milk? I used all whole milk. Didn't add the potato flakes to cut down on carbs.
Mar 8, 2010
OMG this was lick the bowl good! SO rich and decadent, plus it is extremely filling. Next time I am going to serve it in bread bowls for a hearty winter meal.