Cheesy Broccoli Soup in a Bread Bowl
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water or additional chicken stock
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 small round bread loaves (about 8 ounces each), optional
- Optional toppings: Crumbled cooked bacon, additional shredded cheddar cheese, ground nutmeg and pepper
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in broccoli, carrot, stock, cream and seasonings; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Stir in cheese until melted.
- If using bread bowls, cut a slice off the top of each bread loaf; hollow out bottoms, leaving 1/4-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Fill with soup just before serving.
- If desired, serve soup with toppings.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without bread bowl): 422 calories, 32g fat (19g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Nov 9, 2019
This is an excellent recipe! The first time I made it, I used half and half, but the second time, I didn't have any, so I used a can of evaporated milk, and it turned out just as good. I did not make it with a bread bowl, but did serve it with crusty bread.
Oct 22, 2019
This copycat recipe did not disappoint! The only change I made was using one cup of cream and one cup of milk since I didn't have any half-and-half. It's a delicious five-star winner!
Oct 11, 2019
Best broccoli cheese soup that I’ve ever had. None of it went to waste. The only thing I did differently was to use my immersion blender a bit at the end to break up some of the broccoli. It tasted amazing!
Oct 7, 2019
Wonderful recipe - we're g;uten free so I was happy it was thickened with corn starch instead of flour. increased all veggies a little (because veggies!), used whole milk and sharp cheddar. Served with Against the Grain Rosemary baguettes. Terrific!
Sep 5, 2019
Everyone, including the kids, LOVED this soup. I served it in homemade bread bowls, but the soup is SO good that we refilled our bowls long before we were tempted to start eating the bread. I will definitely keep this recipe handy in the future!
Aug 13, 2019
1 made this this weekend. It was out of this world. The only thing I did different was that I bleached the broccoli
Aug 12, 2019
This has become a family favorite! Easy to make
Aug 11, 2019
Delicious! Tastes so good on a cold day! I usually don't serve it in a bread bowl.
Jun 12, 2019
Loved this soup!
May 6, 2019
I loved this soup and made it exactly like the recipe. Loved it even more with the following changes: 1) I blended the soup before I added the cheese to make it more like Panera’s. (Used a stick mixer) 2) I added a tsp of Better than Bouillon chicken broth instead of the salt. (Made it richer tasting) 3) I added a 1/8 tsp of curry powder. It made all the flavors pop, without being curry-flavored. 4) I added more fresh black pepper, and a lot more nutmeg. The nutmeg suggested was too little. Adding a little more made a huge difference. 5) I added small amount of chopped up broccoli when I added the cheese. (So there were tiny pieces of a fresher tasting broccoli flavor.) ** Note: Be sure to use mild or medium cheddar cheese as sharp cheddar will be too tangy. Also, try adding some “garlic and cheese” croutons before serving. They add something extra that makes it taste like a fancy restaurant.