Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
My mother-in-law gave me the recipe for this hearty dish 32 years ago. It was the only way I could get my husband to eat broccoli—by hiding it in the stuffing!—Sheron Hutcheson of Newark, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, drained and patted dry
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 package (6 ounces) reduced-sodium stuffing mix
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, cheese, stuffing mix, onion, egg, nutmeg and pepper. Gradually stir in milk and broth.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 256 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Broccoli Casserole in Light & Tasty June/July 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.