Cheesy Bacon Burger Pizza
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (10 ounces) sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and oil; mix until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, garlic and pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Build up edges slightly. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 450° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle crust with Parmesan cheese. Top with pesto, meat mixture, onion, bacon bits, and mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 653 calories, 28g fat (12g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 1711mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 12, 2015
Oct 21, 2013
Loved the tomato pesto and parmesan on the crust! Not your average pizza. Loved it!
Sep 13, 2012
My husband and I really liked this pizza recipe. I wouldn't say it's the best pizza ever but it was definitely worth making. The sun-dried tomato pesto was a nice change of pace. Next time though I think I might use 1/2 to 3/4 lb of meat instead. Although it was good, one pound seemed like an awful lot for only one pizza.
Mar 5, 2012
Just made this for dinner after putting off trying it for the past year. I followed the ingredients for the crust but assembled them in the order required for my breadmachine. I omitted the onion and instead of sun-dried tomato pesto ( couldn't find it in the local store) used "Victoria" brandCaponata ( eggplant appetizer) pulsedthrough my mini chopper instead. I baked it for closer to 15 minutes. It was DELICIOUS and pleased my picky family. The crust was also delicious and baked evenly throughout. A great recipe for when my teens have friends for dinner!
Sep 29, 2011
I have made this a couple of times and our family really likes it. I was a little skeptical about the pesto, but it was very good. I used my bread machine pizza dough recipe instead of the one given (like I always do) so I didn't have any problems there. We also could not find sun dried tomato pesto at our grocery store so I bought regular pesto and a package of sun dried tomatoes and mixed them together. Tasted great!!!
Jun 28, 2011
I've made this several times and we really like it!
Mar 20, 2011
I have taken the dough discussion in previous comments into account and used a very similar one with what seems to be a correct proportion of flour to water that I have often used with success instead. My comment is you can use half the amount of pesto and meat called for in the recipe and saute the onion with the meat if you don't want a raw taste. I did not dock and bake the crust ahead of time and ours was done in 15 mins at 400.
Dec 2, 2010
Nov 20, 2010
and I would use two refrigerated pizza crusts, it seemed like you needed a thicker crust w/ just using one.
Nov 20, 2010
Based on other reviews we decided to forgo making our own crust and just used a refrigerated pizza crust. The recipe turned out good even though at the store I could not find sun dried tomato pesto and had to sub sun dried tomato cream sauce. Next time I may just try to use regular pizza sauce, cut down the red onion to only 1/2 a red onion, the meat down to 1/2 lb - 3/4 lb and add fresh mushrooms and tomatoes. It really did taste like a bacon cheeseburger though! It does leave kinda a weird taste in your mouth though depending on how ripe the red onion is!