- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- Place the asparagus in a large saucepan with enough water to cover; cook until crisp-tender. Drain well; set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Layer half of the asparagus in a ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover with half of the eggs, cheese and sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with potato chips. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Asparagus Casserole
"I have had this since I was young, my mother,grandmother and great grandmother always fixed this for Easter dinner. It's been a tradition in our family for over sixty years. I too, fix it several times a year, and the reviews are right, people who say they don't like asparagus love it. The only thing we do different is used buttered breadcrumbs on top instead of the potato chips. I now use buttered panko crumbs because I like the crunch."
"This is the second year I have been making this ,all who tried it liked it . Great combination of ingrediants. And prsentation is nice as well. Lisa"