Cheesy Apple Salad
Fruit, celery, nuts and cheese make a merry medley in this tangy twist on traditional Waldorf salad, says St. Louis, Missouri cook Valerie Belley. And because it's sized for a pair, there are no leftovers to worry about.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice, mayonnaise, lemon juice and orange zest until combined. In another bowl, combine the apple, cheese, celery and walnuts. Add orange juice mixture and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 376 calories, 29g fat (9g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Apple Salad in Country Woman November/December 2004