Thin slices of roast beef are topped with peppers, onions and cheese to create this satisfying stacked sandwich. It's quick-to-fix, flavorful and sure to please even the biggest appetite. Accompany it with deli potato salad and peanut butter brownies...or serve frozen french fries and store-bought sugar cookies for dessert.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 2 submarine sandwich buns, split
- In a small skillet, saute the peppers and onion in oil until tender. Cut cheese slices in half. Place beef and cheese on the bottom of each bun. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with pepper mixture and bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 599 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1679mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Cheese Steak Subs in Quick Cooking November/December 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.